To any of my readers wondering more about the background of the characters, I have included extra information that I have based my story off of. Below is all of the information on the monsters and their abilities that I have used based on the television show, Supernatural. All information is owned by the original creators and writers, and I have only used it to create a background for my story. I have directly included the information that applies to my story below, however, I will also include links to each part of the website I’ve used for any additional information that does not directly pertain to my story.
Background Information: “The Leviathans are primordial beings that serves as God’s very first beasts. Thus, they predate angels, humans, and the soul itself.”
Powers & Abilities: “As some of God’s first creations, Leviathans are very powerful beasts, more powerful than most other creatures, and able to kill and/or eat just about everything else.”
- “Leviathan possess massive, retractable jaws that are immensely strong and serves as their primary weapon and way to feed. Their jaws can rip open almost anything they bite into, including humans, angels, demons and various other creatures – even other Leviathan.Using this ability apparently significantly alters the users face, such removing their eyes and nose to make room for their jaws.”
- “Being creatures much older than souls and angels, the Leviathan are immortal, in a variety of senses, in that having an ageless lifespan, meaning they simply do not age, and can no be killed by but one mean, devised by God himself.”
- “Through physical contact with just one strand of DNA, Leviathan can instantaneously shape-shift their vessel into that person’s form, transforming into the person they are in contact with. They are also able to take on the memories of not only those they possess, but those they shape-shift into, allowing them to access their form’s memories and skills. Unlike most other shapeshifters, they have the ability to mimic a human’s specific clothing as well, making it even easier to impersonate people.”
- “Leviathan have unlimited stamina and never tire, however they do get hungry but cannot starve to death.” I altered this in my story slightly so that while Shay will not starve to death from not eating, she does become weak from it.
Background Information: “Vetalas are a type of monster, almost snake-like, that hunt in pairs so they can capture their prey. They don’t usually hunt solo. They also appear to be loyal and protective of their kind, obviously having a strong pack mentality that extends like family.”
Physical Appearance: “They appear human until they attack, at which point they reveal sharp teeth and blue, snake-like eyes. They are mostly beautiful.”
Powers & Abilities:
- “They possess extremely strong, sharp fangs that can rip open a human throat. A Vetala’s bite marks on their human victims resemble the marks of a vampire attack.”
- “Vetala paralyze their victims with a venomous bite. It knocks the victim out cold, and causes a ringing in the ear along with weakened strength.”
- “Like vampires, they feed on human blood.”
- “Vetala appear to have enhanced strength that allows them to overpower even well built humans.”
- “Vetala appear to possess enhanced hearing.” Originally, this ability was specific to noticing others sneaking around, but I pushed the envelope to include hearing conversations on the other end of the phone.
Background Information: “Werewolves, also known as Lycanthropes, are a race of partially-human supernatural creatures, able to morph into a combination of human and wolf.”
Physical Appearance: “Werewolves are humanoid carnivores, the ultimate combination of wolves and humans. They feed on prey found nearby, which, due to the increase of urban areas, are mostly people. When they devour the flesh of a victim, the leave a recognizable trace on the prey: they always eat the heart, although they do sometime eat more of the body.”
Pure-Blood Werewolves: “Their human side retains more control over their animal side, and they can remember afterwards what happens during their transformation. They can transform any time they want. Pure-bloods can also access some of their werewolf powers such as enhanced strength and speed while in human form.” I chose to base Elizabeth’s monster form on this type of werewolf, however information on regular werewolves can be found on the website.
Powers & Abilities:
- “A werewolf’s strength is much greater than a human. They can eaasily overpower humans and can rip flesh and bones with amazing force, their strength is notable even for monsters, as they have been observed as being able to smash stone with their bare hands. Even in human form, werewolves have incredible strength.”
- “Their agility is greater than humans, often allowing them to perform incredible jumps and sprints easily.”
- “A werewolf can move very fast; they are able to move from place to place in seconds.”
Cover Photo Credit: Pixabay.com